Saturday, April 4, 2015

Harry Likes His Dog Buddy


"I ran Buddy in the amateur derby stake at Region 2 all age championship and got 3rd in 14 dogs" 
That's the first time he's been run by anyone other than Jeanette.  And let me tell you, I'm a lousy handler and Bob's not any better than I am so it's pretty safe to say that Buddy was pretty much on his own out there.  <g>  He also recently placed in the derby on the Keystone grounds in a good sized stake.  IIRC around 25-30 dogs.  They run a Spring Classic, the Keystone Champ. is run in the Fall.
I'm not keeping a running total but he places darn near every time that he's run and I think close to 1/2 are firsts.  He's broke on all his finds and starting to run bigger now that Jeanette has more confidence in him.  And as you know, he's a true summer whelp, which puts him behind those January dogs, esp the ones whelped in the previous August!! <g>   Bob, Jeanette and I believe that he'll definitely win as a shooting dog.  That first SD year is always tough but by the time he's 41/2 or 5, I'm confident that he'll be a serious threat every time down as he's become a really reliable dog, nice race and multiple broke finds every time down. 
And once he and Bob get comfortable with each other, he should really beat up on the competition in amateur stakes.  There's no question in my mind that he'll be a champion.  The only question is whether the first one will be open or amateur!   :-)  
Harry
PS  Thanks again for sending me such a good pup!!!  I'll be breeding a bitch or two to him next Fall, if you'd like a puppy all you have to pay is the freight.  You may remember when I first contacted you about a puppy I said that "I'd like to take a ride on your bus" and you generously let me on.  Now maybe you can hitch a little ride on mine (or maybe it would be better if I called it "ours"). <g>   "Buddy" was named Pennsylvania Open Derby of the Year, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment